Our street has quite a history. Around 1720 it was a wagon road winding through the valley to the Jonkershoek Mountains and was referred to as “de wagenweg naar Jonkershoek” (the wagon road to Jonkershoek). During the 1800s the thoroughfare was known as “Jonkershoekweg” (Jonkershoek Road). In 1906, it was renamed after Jan van Riebeeck, who established the first trading post in the Cape of Good Hope in 1652, as Cape Town was then known. Today, the historical route is still called Van Riebeeck Street.
Life & Leisure Co-living is based in the Sans Souci (“carefree” in French) House, which is mentioned in several historical reference books about Stellenbosch. The house was built on the tennis court of Aan ’t Molenwater, commissioned in 1937 by the owner, Margaret de Wet, and designed by the architects Parker and Forsyth. As a historically significant building, any renovation work on the property is strictly monitored by the Stellenbosch Historical Aesthetics Committee.
In 2002, Sans Souci was bought by Margie Potgieter and Marthinus Brink, who appreciated the significance of the estate. With the help of architect Ernest Haper, they renovated the building before opening it as a guesthouse. Today it is an art deco dream in a purist luxury style, and is operated as Life & Leisure Co-living.
In addition to its historical significance and co-living function, the house is an art lover’s dream, with magnificent works by artists like Gregoire Boonzaier, Dion Cupido, Leon de Bliquy, Lynn Smuts, Marius Rademan, Zakkie Eloff, Fawa Conradie, sculptor Nanette Ranger and potter Esias Bosch.